Re: Support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 01:51:08PM +0200, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> one could always set
>
> CFLAGS+=.....
>
> in one's mk.conf to optimize for one's specific machine (in fact to
> me this is one of the great advantage of pkgsrc).

That is asking for trouble. "CFLAGS" is used by a lot of software
packages in very weird ways. MySQL e.g. puts "-DUNIX" or something
like that in there. If you set "CFLAGS" the wrong way its build will
fail. You will find the details burried in NetBSD's PR database.

If you want to enable custom compiler optimisation use the
"CPU_CFLAGS" settings, please.

> That's why I think pkgsrc should be very cautious about setting any
> defaults.

"pkgsrc" already allows to switch between 32 bit and 64 bit via the
"ABI" setting. We should only agree what the default for
Mac OS X Snow Leopard is and deal with the problems of "ABI=64".

        Kind regards