Re: [HEADS UP] PKGTOOLS_REQD bump and related changes

In article <20090616120224.GA2499%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 01:06:08PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
: > : Or when will we start to
: > : have conflicting casing that sometimes magically work and sometimes
: > : don't?
: >
: >   Why should it work only sometimes?  Any specific problem cases in
: > mind?

: One basic case is that most case-insensitive filesystems are
: case-preserving. Being case insensitive here means you can't just open
: the license file without doing a full strcasecmp search.

  I would expect the package Makefiles to use the same case as the
file, so this is only relevant for names in ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES.  I
would not expect our tools to open license files for names taken from
there.

: > : I forgot who gave it, but the IDEA-license vs idea-license is
: > : something I would prefer to avoid.
: >
: >   I am not aware of this problem, please provide more detail.

: That was the example given to me for having upper case in
: ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES.

  Ah.  I only remember Thomas' example of libSomething.

: > : One more part: It was *not* case-insensitive before.
: >
: >   True, but before we didn't have MIT and GPLv2 (common casing) as
: > license names.  And, we allowed (and used) upper case letters in
: > license names.

: You are mixing two things here. Whether or not to allow upper case
: letters and whether or not to compare case-insensitive. I am opposed to
: the latter, as it is adds useless complication. You don't just go around
: and invent random spellings of license names. You copy them from the
: on-screen error or based on the file name. I don't care much about the
: former as long as the use of upper case is limited by saneness.

  Okay, fair enough.  We might expect (the few people who selectively
(dis)allow free licenses) to comply with our casing.  We should not
expect users to have to change their existing setup.  Allowing upper
case but being case sensitive fulfills both points, so I'm okay with
it.

                                        yours,
                                        dillo