Slow build times on Mac OS X

        Hello,

I recently noticed that builds on Intel Mac are slower than on my
NetBSD/amd64 box also the later has the slower CPU.

While Apple's GCC seems not be particular fast it is not the only
cause of the slowness. It seems that Mac OS X's /bin/sh (which is
bash) is contributing to the problem. I've benchmarked building
"pkgsrc/x11/gtk2" with different shells as "/bin/sh".

Shell                   First build time        Second build time
/bin/sh (bash)          19mins 25secs           19mins 34secs
/bin/zsh                16mins 44secs           16mins 30secs
/usr/pkg/bin/pdksh      13mins 56secs           13mins 55secs

So it seems to be worthwile to use "pdksh" under Mac OS X.
But I'm not sure whether we should enforce that in "bootstrap".
Maybe an "--use-pdksh" option?

        Kind regards