Re: MAINTAINER issues

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:39:31 -0400
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> I recently got a bug up my ass about MAINTAINER/OWNER (MO) variables

I went ahead with this plan and it is working well.  I probably won't
start seeing bounces for a few days yet.  A few issues have popped up
though.

I had converted everything to lower case in order to normalize email
addresses.  However, I should have been more selective.  The package
names were also downcased.  Sorry for any confusion.  I have fixed my
script in case I need to run it again.

I also forgot to look for MOs in Makefile.common.  I have fixed that.
I'm not sure if I should resend the email.  I will at least wait a
while to allow bounces to come in from the first batch.

After fixing the last issue I found "${ZSH_MAINTAINER}" as an MO.
pkglint complains about this (among many things in the shells/zsh
package) and it seems to me that having a variable for a MAINTAINER is
a bad idea anyway.  Variables are there for programs.  MAINTAINER is
mostly for actual humans to read directly.  It doesn't seem right to me
that users have to do variable lookups manually.

I hope I haven't sounded too abrupt with some of the responders.  If
they have a NetBSD.org address I am asking them to make any fixes to
the MAINTAINER field themselves.  I am already a bit swamped with those
who do not have NetBSD.org addresses requesting changes and I expect to
be really swamped soon with bounces.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/