Re: libdes missing for a DSO

manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus) writes:

> I'm trying to create a package for a DSO. The build is fine, but at run
> time, I have:
> /usr/pkg/lib/openldap/smbk5pwd.so.0: Undefined PLT symbol
> "des_set_odd_parity" (symnum = 41)
>
> des_set_odd_parity is in libdes. What is the proper fix? I tried adding
> this to the package:
> .include "../../security/openssl/buildlink3.mk"
>
> But -ldes is not automatically added to LIBS. Should I add a patch to
> append -ldes to the package LIBS? I suspect that would break on systems
> that do not reaquire -ldes (are there some?)

I am a bit fuzzy on this, but I suspect that with regular ld can link a
library which uses another library and have that dependency be pulled in
(ldd shows .so having dependencies other .so files), but that with
dlopen the dependencies have to be there already.

I don't have a good idea for a portable fix, other than extending dlopen
to behave like ld.

What happens on platforms where linking a shlib doesn't get the
dependencies?  Is this something libtool does with .la to pull them in
at link time?  Or am I just confused?