Re: BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS can be harmful

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:37:36AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:49:55AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>  > > What I don't see is why your build didn't go build a new pixman as a
>  > > result of it being out of date. Ordinarily it should have. Did you not
>  >
>  > No.  gtk2 doesn't depend on pixman.  gtk2 depends on cairo, and the
>  > installed package is deemed fit to build gtk2.
>  >
>  > You can't get a new pixman built directly through gtk2, it would have
>  > to go through rebuilding cairo, and that's what is not happening here.
>
> O RLY?
[...]
> Notice pixman in there between perl and pkg-config?

Of course pixman is listed there.  gtk2 depends on cairo which depends
on pixman.

> That's because of the stuff in cairo's buildlink3.mk.
>
> Again, I don't see why it didn't go and compile it.

Well, I'd say go read some more code so you understand how it works, but
frankly you probably don't want to dive into that.  So if you do, don't
go blame me because your eyes burn and your brains swells, I've warned
you.

show-depends-dirs will tell you what might get built when buildling gtk2
(i.e., direct dependencies).

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost