Re: DISPLAY, xauth and buildlink3.mk (x11/gnome-applets invest applet)

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:37:23AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> The following pach takes DISPLAY out of the build (or makes it null),
>> and with that gnome-applets builds correctly.  It seems generally good
>> to reduce interactins with the user's environment, but I'd rather "unset
>> DISPLAY" than bash it to empty.  OK to commit, or better idea?
>
> What about the packages that explicitly need an xserver to build?

Hmm.

1. I can't see how they work now, since xauth cookies come from the
wrong place.

2. Probably we should have a way to note that in the package's makefile,
so the build can be skipped if DISPLAY is unset going in.

Basically my point is that it's wrong to change HOME without unsetting
DISPLAY.