Re: xine-lib plugins

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 09:51:21AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > As for plugin ABI changing, the plugin packages should depend on the
 > base package, with revision bumps as needed, so that's more or less a
 > solved problem.  Plus, I'd keep the version numbers in sync and update
 > them at the same time.

In this case the question is not whether the ABI is fixed across
versions, but whether it's fixed across configurations: that is, if
one builds one copy of xine-lib using --with-x11 --without-arts and
another one using --without-x11 --with-arts (which is what's currently
done) whether the resulting plugin .so files are really
interchangeable or not.

One would hope that they would be, but there's not really any
guarantee, and unless the upstream developers explicitly intend this
to be possible there's a pretty good chance it'll eventually break.

More on the rest later.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost