Re: 2008Q1 -> current: downgrade

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:49:46PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >>> A lot of? Some of you said that PKG_EPOCH can be impelmented in two
 >>> hours or so. It's trivial for me to adapt wip/awk-pkgsrc-dewey.

 >>> See above about *real* and pkgsrc-dewey downgrades.
 >
 >> Epochs would not fix the problems you're complaining about, because
 >> the problems you're complaining about are not caused by upstream
 >> package versions going backwards.
 >
 > You again mix two completely different questions.

No, I'm not. You're arguing that these "downgrades" are a problem,
which I'll grant, and that version epochs should be used to fix the
problem, which is completely wrong.

Again, I manually investigated all the "downgrades" you reported and
found that only two or three of them were correctly solvable with
version epochs. Two cases over four years (both in obscure packages)
are not worth worrying much about.

How are epochs supposed to solve the other cases? When someone makes a
mistake with a package version number, are they supposed to somehow
realize they're making a mistake and bump the version epoch? That's
not really very plausible.

I've already posted my conclusions about what other things should be
done, and I see no need to repeat them.

 > This "discussion" becomes absolutely useless.

Yes, that I'd agree with.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost