Re: dependancies and bulk builds

In article <20080523151207.GA1003%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 05:02:22PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
: >   That would mean that if the verion of package A changes, only A and
: > its direct dependencies are rebuilt, but indirect dependencies are
: > not?

: The default check also compares the time of a binary package against its
: dependencies. That enforces the indirect dependencies.

  So with the time check disabled, indirect dependencies are not
rebuilt, right?

: >   Joerg: could you please add an option so this can be selected via
: > config file?  I think it's a valuable option to have.

: *What* part should be optional? The time check?

  Yes, the time check.

: >   Everyone: do we feel this is an acceptable tradeof for our official
: > binary packages?

: I don't know. It depends a lot on the platform and build resources.
: For the AMD64 build I need around 4 days right now. That's a full
: non-incremental build.

  So if the builder feels the machine is fast enough, the time check
should stay enabled.  What about slower machines?  Are we willing to
allow disabling the time check there?

                                 yours,
                                 dillo