Re: dependancies and bulk builds

In article <20080523145530.GA984%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:07:44PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
: > If a dependancy changed in a way that doesn't affect the resulting binary
: > (no ABI changes in the library for example). It's possible we don't have
: > the needed informations in pkgsrc for that yet.

: I don't think you can really automatically specify what dependencies
: might or might not alter the build process without a lot of manual work.

: I should explain that the strict exact match of all packages was
: implement to address three specific issues we have seen more than once.

: (1) Older pkg_add tried to install the version a package was built with
: before looking for the best match. That has some obvious side effects...

: (2) It can't be decided based on the dependency list what are statically
: linked binaries, fixed compiler tools, etc.

: (3) It is the only way to deal with changing depending list due to
: options etc.

: Note that if you really want to cheat, the easiest option is to comment
: out the date check. It will skip transitive rebuilds and should
: generally be safe.

  That would mean that if the verion of package A changes, only A and
its direct dependencies are rebuilt, but indirect dependencies are
not?

  Joerg: could you please add an option so this can be selected via
config file?  I think it's a valuable option to have.

  Everyone: do we feel this is an acceptable tradeof for our official
binary packages?

                                        yours,
                                        dillo