Re: bootstrap shell?

In article <20080523145845.fee688f9.tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> Tobias wrote:
: pkgsrc/OSF1 has long been plagued by the buggy and crash prone /bin/sh
: _and_ /bin/ksh. I would like to fix this once and for all by adding
: support for providing a sane shell as part of the bootstrap process.
: This would involve importing the source code of some shell to pkgsrc,
: like was already done for awk and sed. The #1 candidate seems to be
: shells/pdksh. This would add 1.8M to unpacked pkgsrc. Can we live with
: this?

  Absolutely!  Since pkgsrc (and the build process of many packages)
relies quite heavily on a correctly working sh, this should be part of
bootstrap on platforms where none exists (Solaris also comes to
mind).

  (Note: I can't comment on wether pdksh is the best way to go.  My
first gut reaction would have been to create a portable version of
NetBSD's sh, but that is admittedly more work, and if a ready to use
alternative exists, go for it.)

                                        yours,
                                        dillo