Re: how to upgrade a whole machine ...

It probably built the dependencies, but did not build binary packages
for them. Did you perhaps fiddle with *_TARGET options somewhere?
You could maybe hack up a shell script that uses pkgtools/pkg_tarup
to generate binary packages from the installed dependencies.

What I usually do when starting from scratch is to generate a list
of packages I want built suitable for pkg_chk, for instance via

pkg_info -u -Q PKGPATH > /path/in/pkg_comp/chroot/pkgchk.conf

and then do, in the pkg_comp chroot (via "pkg_comp chroot"):

pkg_chk -saf -C /path/in/chroot/pkgchk.conf

If you have used this before, you can add a "-u" to this in order
to update outdated packages. Make sure you have UPDATE_TARGET =
= package then, because otherwise you end up without binary packages
again.

Not sure whether this is safe or elegant, but it usually works
flawlessly for me.

HTH,

--
Dennis den Brok