Re: PRIVILEGED_STAGES (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkglint/files)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:17:48PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 08:00:18PM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> > Does this mean that I can no longer build a package in the future from
> > source
> > and install it, without creating a binary package, which I don't need?
>
> Your point is? Just remove it afterwards. The advantages by far
> outweight the disadvantages.

Just to back this up: in OpenBSD land we switched to *mandatory* DESTDIR
a few years ago. We never looked back.  As far as getting reproducible
package builds goes, this makes a huge difference.

Going through binary packages is a very slight inconvenience that only
affects users with a shallow view of what's going on. Everyone benefits
from having *less bugs* in the build system.

There's something to be said about desirable tweakability, and superfluous
tweakability... Avoiding DESTDIR is clearly superfluous in my book.

Probably depends whether you focus on having a tinkering system, where
everyone is highly proficient in fixing source for transient issues, and
where everyone compiles everything from source, all the time. Or if you
prefer having a robust binary package system, where you can install packages
with minimal fuss, and rarely have to fix obscure issues in the compilation
system... ;-)