Re: Platform independant startup environment?

On Jun 24,  5:54pm, Jesse Peterson wrote:
}
} I've noticed that a number of packages come with NetBSD rc.d startup scripts.
I also notice that a lot of the pkgsrc platforms don't have the NetBSD rc.d
system. ;)  Would it make sense to create (or port) a similar rc.d system and
make it platform agnostic that the hosting platform could just execute the
"pkgsrc startup mechanism" and all of the rc.d scripts that a lot of packages
come with could "just work" with most platforms?

     See pkgtools/rc.subr and pkgtools/rcorder.

} Alternatively a startup meta-definition syntax from which pkgsrc could
generate platform-specific startup data/files/mechanisms (such as launchd
plists for Mac OS X/Darwin, NetBSD rc.d scripts, Linux init.d, initng, etc.)?

     This would be interesting...

}-- End of excerpt from Jesse Peterson