Re: Support for 240/4 and 0/8 addresses in NetBSD

On 15/06/23 19:57, Robert Elz wrote:
     Date:        Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:39:38 +1200
     From:        Lloyd Parkes <lloyd%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost>

   | 2) 90% of the references to IN_CLASS* in the NetBSD kernel are related
   | to testing for localhost addresses. Since the localhost network has
   | always had an explicit /8 netmask and was never defined as a class A
   | network,

That's wrong, localhost (and net 127) has been in use since long before
netmasks were invented, and net 127 certainly was a class A network
(when such things still existed).

Um. I had just finished reading the _original_ RFCs when I wrote that.

The numbers match class A because the RFCs authors weren't insane, but that doesn't change the fact that the localhost network has always been an explicit /8 without reference to any network classes.

Cheers,
Lloyd