Re: Difference between vlan pseudo interfaces and physical interfaces?

On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 09:36:50 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>>> Yes. I do use mdnsd in such a setup, for example.
>>
>> I should have been clearer: AppleTalk uses ethernet multicast, not ip
>> multicast. Maybe that makes a difference?
>
> IP multicast uses ethernet multicast, so the interface is capable of
> doing it. I suspect the issue is more in the appletalk layer.

Either that, or the if_vlan driver missing appletalk specific bits...

I have broken down the relevant Netatalk code bits to the attached  -
essentially, create an appletalk socket, and attempt to set the
appletalk multicast (actually: broadcast?) MAC address on it.

This gives:

[hauke@pizza] /<2>src/atalk_multicast # ./atalk_multicast -i lo0
lo0: ioctl SIOCADDMULTI on appletalk datagram socket failed: Address
family not supported by protocol family
[hauke@pizza] /<2>src/atalk_multicast # ./atalk_multicast -i vlan11
vlan11: ioctl SIOCADDMULTI on appletalk datagram socket failed: Invalid
argument
[hauke@pizza] /<2>src/atalk_multicast #

where EINVAL is a very generic error, and I haven't the slightest idea
how to track down the origin. I looked at if_vlan.c, but its multicast
routine does not appear to be the culprit.

Any hints?

Cheerio,
Hauke

--