Re: urndis (was: Time to retire some ancient network pseudo-interfaces?)

On 10 September 2018 at 08:23, Jan Danielsson
<jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 2018-08-25 08:02, Maxime Villard wrote:
> [---]
> > Note that I'm talking about the code in dev/if_ndis and compat/ndis, and
> > that
> > this doesn't impact urndis, which is a USB driver enabled by default, which
> > has its own NDIS code.
>
>    What's the state of urndis?  I don't see any "BUGS"-section in the
> man-page which I interpret as good news.
>
>    I looked at the rndis driver in Linux a few years ago; the developers
> seemed pretty displeased with the spec.  In summary: "We followed the
> spec, it didn't work, so we snooped the line, saw some undocumented
> stuff, we tried to add those and suddenly it worked but we don't know
> why.  Don't use this driver in production.".
>
>    Anyone using the urndis driver in NetBSD on a semi-daily basis?  Is
> it stable?

I use it to tether my Thinkpad via a variety of Android devices. It
had a tendency to panic the system for a while in netbsd-7, but
netbsd-8 has been very stable for me.
I even use it when my iwn occasionally has issues connecting to some
wifi APs - USB tether to android phone, then just connect to the wifi
on the phone.

In short - I don't leave home without it :-p

David