Re: DNS Expectations (was rtsol)

On 21/10/2014 17:47, Robert Swindells wrote:
> But dhcpcd has not learned the information that is being deleted.
>
> I am suggesting that in the case where nothing is returned then no
> change should be made to resolv.conf.

These are indeed fair points, but I feel the conversion has now moved
from dhcpcd(8) to resolvconf(8).

resolvconf(8) simply takes all available inputs and then outputs
something sensible. Without any configuration or input you get a blank
resolv.conf(5).

Of course, we could do things a little differently. Here's some ideas,
from worst to best in my mind:

  *  resolvconf should be opt-in rather than opt-out in resolvconf.conf

  *  refuse to update resolv.conf if it doesn't contain the resolvconf
     signature when adding or removing interfaces via resolvconf

  *  if resolv.conf has no valid signature, save it and only restore it
     when resolvconf has no valid inputs left

Any of these changes could affect the long standing behaviour of
resolvconf placing a blank resolv.conf file to make 127.0.0.1 the
resolver to use.

Commentary on this is welcome.

Roy