Re: rtsol

Roy Marples wrote:
>On 20/10/2014 22:06, Robert Swindells wrote:
>> What is the recommended way to replace rtsol(8) ?
>>
>> I have read the man page.
>>
>> My /etc/rc.conf contains the following:
>>
>> dhcpcd=YES
>> dhcpcd_flags="-B6 --nodhcp6 rtk0"
>>
>> At boot, dhcpcd prints that it has received the RA but then blocks,
>> prints an error that it has timed out and overwrites the
>> /etc/resolv.conf file with an empty one.
>>
>> It doesn't set the IPv6 address of the interface.
>
>Remove the B flag, that stops it forking to the background.
>You may need the ipv6ra_fork option if your RA doesn't provide the RDNSS
>option and you're not doing an IPv4 setup to avoid the timeout error.

The RA comes from rtadvd(8) on another NetBSD system, I needed the
ipv6ra_fork option.

It doesn't block or generate an error now.

It still doesn't set the IPv6 address though, which was the whole
point of running rtsol previously.

>As you're setting one interface via the flags and not dhcpcd.conf I
>would recommend adding the M flag as well in-case you want to use any
>dhcpcd tools further down the road.

I just followed the suggestion in the new rtsol man page.

I think users are going to get bitten by this when upgrading to
NetBSD-7.

>The resolv.conf part is tricky - because dhcpcd supports DNSSL and RDNSS
>options that need to expire it needs to be able to manage resolv.conf
>somehow. The solution is to either disable dhcpcd from writing to it at
>all (--nohook resolv.conf), setup your static config using
>resolvconf.conf or make the file immutable. Is this something we should
>document in resolv.conf(5)?

I would expect the default behaviour to be to not overwrite
resolv.conf on an error.

Robert Swindells