Re: Using multiple interfaces (3+) causes intermittent system freezes on NetBSD 5.1_STABLE and later... [was: NetBSD 5 partly freezing, may be related to 802.1Q]

Fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost> writes:

  [system with 3 NICs freezes, may be vlan, ??]

> I haven't found any suitable PR for this problem, so maybe you or I
> should file one?
> The sad thing is that we can't get any valuable debugging information,
> as the system becomes unresponsive...

I know of two problems, and likely neither is the one you are having:

  On four-port wm cards, there is some sort of pci-pci bridge (to two
  dual wm chips), and netbsd-5 and netbsd-6 both (as of early 2012) fail
  to cope, causing some sort of inscrutable hard lockup.  This is not
  about having 4 wm interfaces; it's specifically about the quad-port
  PCI-E cards with a PCI-PCI bridge and 2 chips, each of which is a
  2-function PCI device.

  In if_bnx.c, there is incorrect handling of failure to get a
  replacement mbuf on receive, leading to loss of lots of mbufs.  We
  have a fix and it's on my todo list to extract it and commit it to
  current.  I do not know of anyone else hitting this.  This is not
  related to multiple interfaces, but can be more likely triggered since
  a) traffic on multiple interfaces increases mbuf pressure and b) bnx
  allocates 510 cluster mbufs per interface, even with no traffic,
  increasing mbuf pressure.   I am not aware of anyone else hitting this
  problem; we've been pushing multiple-interface machines pretty hard.