Re: Using multiple interfaces (3+) causes intermittent system freezes on NetBSD 5.1_STABLE and later... [was: NetBSD 5 partly freezing, may be related to 802.1Q]

On Aug 15, 2012, at 13:55 , Greg Troxel wrote:
> Fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost> writes:
>
>  [system with 3 NICs freezes, may be vlan, ??]
>
>> I haven't found any suitable PR for this problem, so maybe you or I
>> should file one?
>> The sad thing is that we can't get any valuable debugging information,
>> as the system becomes unresponsive...
>
> I know of two problems, and likely neither is the one you are having:
>
> [...]
>  In if_bnx.c, there is incorrect handling of failure to get a
>  replacement mbuf on receive, leading to loss of lots of mbufs.  We
>  have a fix and it's on my todo list to extract it and commit it to
>  current.  I do not know of anyone else hitting this.  This is not
>  related to multiple interfaces, but can be more likely triggered since
>  a) traffic on multiple interfaces increases mbuf pressure and b) bnx
>  allocates 510 cluster mbufs per interface, even with no traffic,
>  increasing mbuf pressure.   I am not aware of anyone else hitting this
>  problem; we've been pushing multiple-interface machines pretty hard.

Actually, the multiple interfaces our system is using is of the bnx type (a
quad card).
However, we haven't seen any problem with using just 1 or 2 interfaces (yet)...
but this system has been running for at least 2 years or so.

I would be happy to try out the patch, if it's possible.
(And it would also be nice if this patch could be pulled up before NetBSD 6.0
RELEASE is tagged.)

/P