Re: apparently missing locking in if_bnx.c

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 10:45:35AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   I am wondering whether a stacked software driver is what's calling the bnx
>   start routine in BBN's case.  The locking in some of those is kind of dodgy.
>
> I don't think that's it.  While we're doing some complicated things in a
> private tree, chasing down this problem led to backing off on those
> things and finally running a build of just netbsd-6, and then just
> pushing traffic over the interfaces, without any odd configuration.  (It
> does seem to take multiple flows on multiple interfaces to lead to the
> issue.)

multiple interfaces alone is not enough (each interface has its own queue).
It's probably how multiple interfaces are used that matters; like brigdes,
tunnels or other setup that could cause a packet to be sent back to
another interface without going to the IP stack.