Re: Retiring dhclient

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:25:27AM -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2011, at 3:53 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > Perhaps it would be better to set the MTU only if it actually differs from
> > the
> > MTU already configured on the adapter?
>
> A lot of those configuration parameters are weird to me.   Why should
> the DHCP server have a better idea of what the MTU should be than the
> client does?

Where should an arbitrary client know the best MTU for the network from?
The DHCP server is (supposedly) managed by network administrators, which
should know better. Path MTU discovery can deal e.g. with PPPoE
overhead, but the more reliable choice really is often to just cap the
MTU at 1492. Noone forces the server to announce one, after all.

Joerg