Re: How do I keep an inet6 address from being added to an interface?

Hi,

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Steven Bellovin <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost>
wrote:

> On May 5, 2010, at 11:59 07PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Matthew Mondor
>> <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:

>>> Hmm after looking at sysctl(8) net.inet6 stubs and in6_ifattach.c there
>>> seems to be no option that I see for that in netbsd-5.  It's part of
>>> the ipv6 standard that interfaces have an automatic link-local address,
>>> and that address can only be used on the local network, but I guess
>>> that it could be legitimate for some administrator to not want a
>>> link-local address configured.
>>>
>> actually, there is a way, `ip6_auto_linklocal', but it is not made
>> public. Maybe could we expose it in the sysctl tree ?
>
> Does that work on per-interface?
>
> I've often wanted such a feature: a way to ensure that NetBSD's kernel
> neither sends or acts on *any* packet received on certain interfaces.

No, it is done when the interface is attached, so before any user
intervention is possible; if I'm not mistaken. This would make the
sysctl useless, so this would have to be a hardcoded default.

 - Arnaud