How do I keep an inet6 address from being added to an interface?

Hello,

I want to configure an interface up without any protocol addresses
being added to (or protocols enabled on) the interface.  I see,
however, that the act of typing `ifconfig rtk0 up' results in
an ipv6 address being added to the interface, which I assume
also enables ipv6 protocol processing.  How do I make it stop
doing that?

Thanks,
Dennis Ferguson