Re: How does PCIe appear to the host?

>> It's supposed to negotiate down to x1?
> Yes.

Okay.  I've dropped the manufacturer an email asking whether this
device is supposed to work in a mechanically x16 slot which has only
one lane available to it.

The primary chip on the board is indeed marked with the JMicron logo
and "JMB585" (it's also marked "2143 QHBA1 A" and "E771C0011"), but
there are numerous other components, including at least two other
chips, there....

>> Then either Vantec or ASRock has done something odd or my particular
>> Q1900M has a duff "x16" slot, because it doesn't work.
> I once had a PCIe network card in a x16 slot that didn't work
> reliable and wasn't recognized now and then.  Reason was that the
> edge connector wasn't correctly aligned and I had to shape it with a
> file.  Some things are just too cheap.

I may have to do some such.  I'll see what Vantec has to say.  (In
particular, I don't want to do anything permanent to this card while
there's still some chance I may need to RMA it.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign