Re: How does PCIe appear to the host?

>> ahcisata0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x197b product 0x0585
> That's a JMicron JMB585 which has a PCIe Gen3 x2 interface and
> provides five 6Gbps SATA ports.

That sounds right; the card has five SATA connectors and its ppb
reports "link is x2 @ 5.0GT/s".

> If your board has eight SATA ports,

No, the card has only five ports, both physically (only five SATA
connectors) and digitally (five atabus instances appear in autoconf).

> A JMB585 should have no problems to work in a x1 slot.

It's supposed to negotiate down to x1?  Then either Vantec or ASRock
has done something odd or my particular Q1900M has a duff "x16" slot,
because it doesn't work.  I think my quad wm is a x1 card; if I can
find the silly thing I'll try it in the ASRock to see if the slot
itself works.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign