Re: How does PCIe appear to the host?

	hello.  It's been my experience that pcie busses show up as pci busses from the software
perspective and, as you note, simply have more capabilities than standard pci connections.  If
you're plugging in a card and it isn't seen, I'd check the BIOS and look for any pcie settings
it might have.  Typically they're under the advanced south bridge configuration section, but
BIOS's vary and you'll probably have to crawl through the menus to find it.

	Once you think you have things turned on, I'd use pcictl to try and get a list ing of all
the busses and devices the OS sees.  You don't say which version of NetBSD you're running, but
I've used pcie as early as NetBSD-3 and quite extensively on  NetBSD-5.

	Other trivia I've picked up over the years:

	Cards usually probe in order from the PCI/PCIE  slot closest to the power supply/connector
outward.

	You might experiment by booting without ACPI to see how the PCI busses probe in that case.

Older versions of NetBSD don't seem to do anything with speed settings, so you won't get any
mentions of speed transfers or the like on NetBSD-5.

	If the PCIE card you're using is working properly, it should be seen by the BIOS as
additional SATA ports.  If you have a drive plugged into it when you boot the BIOS, you might
even be rewarded with a listing of the make and model of the drive you have connected.  If you
see that, you then know it's not hardware trouble.

Hope that helps.
-Brian