Re: Forcing a USB device to "ugen"

> On Mar 26, 2024, at 10:18 AM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> Like I said in a previous message on this thread, I think the better model is for ugen to always exist for every USB device / interface, and for the kernel driver to attach there.  Then it’s easy to just say “detach whatever kernel driver is here [assuming it’s not busy providing some other service] so that user-space can take over”, and “re-attach any kernel driver that might match this device now that I’m done”.

I guess I should explicitly state the other part of this, which is “and anything other than totally benign control pipe transfers without having CLAIM’d the device/interface must return EBUSY”.  It’s the act of CLAIM’ing the device/interface that detaches the kernel driver and the act of RELEASE’ing it that causes the kernel to attempt to re-attach one.

-- thorpej