Re: Forcing a USB device to "ugen"

> On Mar 26, 2024, at 9:31 AM, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> Isn't it possible to do most of what Jason proposes by using the drvctl interface to
> detach a driver from a specific USB device?  Then, some glue could be added to the ugen driver
> to allow it to be attached to arbitrary devices using the same drvctl interface?  That seems a
> lot easier to me than building a registry of devices and device IDs, which will be  woefully
> out of date before it gets published.  It also has the advantage of allowing the user to do
> creative stuff that the developers didn't think of.  Am I missing something obvious?

It’s absolutely not easier, because there’s not really an easy way, once the kernel driver is detached, to say “attach ugen where that other thing was, AND ONLY THERE”.

Like I said in a previous message on this thread, I think the better model is for ugen to always exist for every USB device / interface, and for the kernel driver to attach there.  Then it’s easy to just say “detach whatever kernel driver is here [assuming it’s not busy providing some other service] so that user-space can take over”, and “re-attach any kernel driver that might match this device now that I’m done”.

-- thorpej