Re: [RFC 2] userconf(4): 2nd proposal

On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 11:17:02AM +0000, RVP wrote:

> Oh, I like the idea (I've always wanted a mechanism to list drivers
> etc. using patterns); it's just the syntax that sticks in the craw.
> Too many meta-chars. there.
>
> OTOH, `cmd -p xyz* *abc' doesn't need much thought. And, aliases
> are pretty standard too. But, this is your show, n'est pas...?
> Don't let me stop you!

I like this more: flags introduced by '-' since if a flag is not a
number there is no ambiguity with negative numbers (allowed for the
more builtin facility). So -p would mean pattern, -g use groups instead
of driver name and -pg apply a pattern to group names and even -s
meaning STARred (-pgs, letters in whatever order, meaning apply a
pattern to group names for STARred devices)...

And without flags, this is the present syntax untouched.

This will address too the legitimate concern of Staffan Thomén about
keyboard mapping: this adds less characters, and not special ones.

For variables, I will refrain for the moment because this will impose
to add a fraction of a page (1/4, 1/2 or 1/1) as scratch "memory" to
allocate and a simple allocation scheme (a la Unix version 6 for
example: see Lion's Commentary) in order to not allocate with kernel
facilities. Not difficult, not adding much but if not necessary...
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/