Re: [RFC 2] userconf(4): 2nd proposal

On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 09:30:53AM +0000, RVP wrote:

> > > You can allow escapes for those:
> > >
> > > uc> disable i915drmkms\*	# exact match STARred
> > > uc> disable *kms\*		# only STARed `*kms'
> > >

> > But this breaks existing...
> >

> Fine. You can introduce the notion of flags.
> For example `-p' for pattern:
>
> uc> disable i915drmkms*		# std. starred device
> uc> disable -p *drm*		# disable using pattern
>
> You can also add, let's say, a `-g' group flag:
>
> uc> list -g			# list all "groups"
> uc> list -g drmkms		# list devices in group drmkms
> uc> disable -g drmkms		# disable group drmkms

Yep, but know you see what became of the simplifications ;-)

I covered the same ground as you to end up with my first proposal, in
order, by the '=' to allow the keep the present syntax alone and to
have a new differing, and imposing double quoting of strings in order
to be able, if needed, later, to have variable names unquoted,
precisely for use in boot.cfg.

I think that my second proposal is the simplest, allowing not breaking
existing and introducing extensions without much typing.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/