Re: [RFC 2] userconf(4): 2nd proposal

On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 08:31:09AM +0000, RVP wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2023, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
>
> > > 1) Allowing shell-like patterns (not hard to implement):
> > >
> > > uc> disable drm*	# all starting with `drm'
> >
> > No...: this is a break of existing. Trailing `*' selects STARred devices
> > (I'm not the inventor of this). So `*' can not be used as a joker ;-)
> >

> You can allow escapes for those:
>
> uc> disable i915drmkms\*	# exact match STARred
> uc> disable *kms\*		# only STARed `*kms'

But this breaks existing...

> > I have contemplated, too, adding for example "variables" to userconf and
> > rejected it because this would be only useful for arch supporting
> > boot.cfg,
> >

> Definition in boot.cfg was the intent.

Yes, this could be useful but for boot.cfg; but boot.cfg  is not
supported by all archs.

Hence the "grouping" proposal, that is independent from boot.cfg, and
that can have, IMO, a usage not limited to drmkms---a group being
defined so that the devices enabled/disabled by group can, indeed,
work or not imped the behavior of the kernel if disabled; I made
experiments disabling devices with pattern matching for drmkms,
ending disabling a child with the simple result that I painted myself
in a corner: there was no more display... So grouping is also
supposed to be "safe" variables definition.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/