Re: NetBSD 10.0 BETA kernel testing: framebuffer

67 is a refresh-rate, not a depth

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

Le Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 02:56:47PM +0100, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost a écrit :

Context: I'm testing NetBSD 10.0 BETA on an isolated node (not
production). Only kernel and modules (not userland); and kernel is not
GENERIC but a special config one matching the previous 9.2 config
running on the node.

No problem so far. As a user (and as advertised), I had simply to use
audiocfg(1) to set the new correct default for audio in order to have
sound back where I used to expect it.

The main difference is about the framebuffer: previous kernel version
picked the correct mode. NetBSD 10.0 does not and use "entry level"
mode 640x480x67, resulting streched fat big characters; message:

no data for est. mode 640x480x67

I think we are looking at the wrong place. The problem is the depth
in the mode looked for: 67! The only depths the cards new about are
multiple of 2^3.

So where does this come from?
                    http://www.kergis.com/
                   http://kertex.kergis.com/

!DSPAM:63d695c5339123521361!

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |