Re: Module autounload proposal: opt-in, not opt-out

On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 09:24:28AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Given where we are, do you really mean
>
>   we should withdraw every module from autoload that does not have a
>   documented test result, right now?
>
> It seems far better to have them stay loaded than be unavailable.

I'm not sure (and given Taylor's reply it is not easily doable anyway).

However, I find the idea of offering auto-loadable modules which we do
not fully trust kind of disturbing.

On the other hand we have not heard[1] of many crash reports that are due
to auto-unload, so maybe the problem is not that bad after all and we could
fix the broken ones when we catch them.

Martin

1: which might be just because the feature not being exercised very often