Re: Module autounload proposal: opt-in, not opt-out

On Sun, Aug 07, 2022 at 11:08:47PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Some modules might still be unsafe to unload, which is a bug -- but at
> least this way accidentally creating the wrong network interface or
> opening the wrong device won't set a ten-second time-bomb for the
> system like I occasionally stumble upon in the status quo.

I think that all modules that we deliver and declare safe for *autoload*
should require to be actually tested, and a basic test (for me) includes
testing auto-unload. That does not cover races that slip through "casual"
testing, but should have caught the worst bugs.

So the error in the cases you stumbled in is the autoload and keeping the
badly tested module autoloadable but forbid its unloading sounds a bit
strange to me.

Martin