Re: killed: out of swap

Den Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:48:48 +0000
skrev David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost>:

> NetBSD doesn't do this very well; usually in my experience an OOM
> situation results in syslogd getting killed, which is both unhelpful
> in terms of freeing up resources and actively bad for other reasons.
> It's also not uncommon for the ax to fall on the X server, which does
> usually end up releasing resources but is pretty much never what the
> user wants.

This matches my expericence very well, in that either
syslog or X is the victim. In my case, it's usually darktable that
decides that obese isn't fat enough and starts growing until there
is no more memory. So killing X indirectly also ends in killing the
offender. However in my case, a selection that killed the largest
process would be a very nice option.

--
Eivind Nicolay Evensen