Re: killed: out of swap

> So what should the kernel do?
I don't know how thigs work under the hood today (I might have partially
known in the times of sbrk()), but I would suppose that malloc() will
ultimatively result in some system call enlarging the heap/data
segment/whatever. That system call could simply fail.

I assume my impression is completely wrong (today). But then, how can
a malloc() fail before the process gets killed?