Re: killed: out of swap

NetBSD implements overcommitted swap - many processes malloc()
(or mmap() which that really becomes in the current implementation)
far more memory than they're ever going to actually use.  It is only
when some real physical memory is required (rather than simply a marker
"zero filled page might be required here") that the system actually
allocates any real resources.   Similarly pages mapped from a file only
need swap space if they're altered - otherwise the file serves as the
backing store for it.

Once upon a time there was a method to turn overcommitted swap off, and
require actual allocations (of RAM or swap) to be made for all reserved
(virtual) memory.  I used to enable that all the time - but I haven't seen
any mention of it in ages, and the mechanism might no longer still exist.

kre