Re: kaveri_mec2.bin file missing

Hello

Sorry for the late reply. It landed in spam for some reason. I apologize.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 5:54 PM Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost> wrote:

> Riza Dindir <riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> >I have put the two files listed above (by RVP) to the
> >"src/sys/dev/microcode/radeon/" directory. I also changed the
> >configuration to only include the radeon device that is the
> >0x1002/0x1309 Kaveri device. Did add the KAVERI_mec2.bin to the
> >MODULE_FIRMWARE definitions in the radeon_cik.c file (since this was
> >missing). But this failed to load the microcode. It does fail in the
> >function "cik_init_microcode".
> >
> >I have put these bin files into "src/sys/dev/microcode/radeon/". Isn't
> >this the correct path to put these bin files in?
>
> It is the correct source directory for Radeon microcode files, unless
> you have added something to the Makefile they won't get copied to
> the destination directory which is /libdata/firmware/radeon.

I have done that but they did not get copied to the /libdata
directory. I do not know when the makefile in the
src/sys/dev/microcode/radeon directory is being invoked.

> You could just copy files from the linux-firmware tree to
> /libdata/firmware/radeon to test things.

Yes I manually copied these files and it worked.

> >Are the file names in this directory case-sensitive? Although in the
> >"src/sys/dev/microcode/radeon/" directory all the bin files begin with
> >capital letters (KAVERI_mec.bin for instance).
>
> The filenames are case sensitive, you can see that the files are not the
> same.
>
> % diff -b KAVERI_me.bin kaveri_me.bin
> Binary files KAVERI_me.bin and kaveri_me.bin differ
>
> I would expect to use either the KAVERI* or the kaveri* files as a set.

On examining the radeok_cik.c file in the cik_init_microcode()
function (or something like that) it looks for the KAVERI*, then the
kaveri* files. As far as I can tell the kaveri* files are the new
firmware. You have to have all the kaveri* files in the libdata
directory, so that it will use all the new firmware, otherwise it
complains that old and new firmware is being mixed.

Thanks for the response.

Riza