Emulating linux timer.. syscalls

Hello there,
    I am a computer systems engineering student in my final year, i'd like to contribute to your community (Hint: I don't care about GSoC).
I am interested in operating Systems, runtime systems, and compilers.
I have strong C knowledge, C++, Data structures and algorithms, I am familiar with assembly (x86_x64, MIPs ).
I am willing to start with easy projects and then develop myself to be able to bigger ones.
I saw that one and it seems good to start with.
I will install NetBsd on VMWare and try to get familiar with pkgsrc.
Could you tell me please how to get the pre knowledge required for it?
I wish to hear from you soon

Thanks
      Mohamed