Re: Some changes to autoconfiguration APIs

> On Aug 1, 2021, at 1:56 PM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:
>
>>>      config_found(CF_VERSION, self, whatever, (const struct cfargs *){
>>>          .search = ...,
>>>          .locators = ...,
>>>      })
>
>> What do you propose should be the behavior if the versions don't match?  I h$
>
> I thought the mail you replied to said, though admittedly partly by
> implication:
>
>>> config_found() needs to check passed cf_version and convert for old
>>> versions.  We are still left with a long tail of conversion code in
>>> config_found(), but callers Just Work.

Right, "callers Just Work" is carrying a lot of water here.  I want to know specifically how people think it should behave.  For example: What should happen in the case of a semantic conflict that can't be resolved during conversion?

(If you can't tell, I'm a bit annoyed about folks having plenty of energy to express their distaste with one solution, only to float a hand-wavy alternative lacking specifics that also has flaws; sorry, abs@, I'm not trying to pick on you here...).

-- thorpej