Re: build.sh sets with xz (was Re: vfs cache timing changes)

"Tom Spindler (moof)" <dogcow%babymeat.com@localhost> writes:

>> PS: The xz compression for the debug set takes 36 minutes on my machine.
>> We shoudl do something about it. Matt to use -T for more parallelism?
>
> On older machines, xz's default settings are pretty much unusable,
> and USE_XZ_SETS=no (or USE_PIGZGZIP=yes) is almost a requirement.
> On my not-exactly-slow i7 6700K, build.sh -j4 parallel is just fine
> until it hits the xz stage; gzip is many orders of magnitude faster.
> Maybe if xz were cranked down to -2 or -3 it'd be better at not
> that much of a compression loss, or it defaulted to the higher
> compression level only when doing a `build.sh release`.

(I have not really been building current so am unclear on the xz
details.)

I'd like us to keep somewhat separate the notions of:

  someone is doing build.sh release

  someone wants min-size sets at the expense of a lot of cpu time

I regularly do build.sh release, and rsync the releasedir bits to other
machines, and use them to install.  Now perhaps I should be doing
"distribution", but sometimes I want the ISOs.

Sometimes I do builds just to see if they work, e.g. if being diligent
about testing changes.

(Overall the notion of staying with gzip in most cases, with a tunable
for extreme savins sounds sensible but I am too unclear to really weigh
in on it.)