Re: build.sh sets with xz (was Re: vfs cache timing changes)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 09:49:53PM -0700, Tom Spindler (moof) wrote:
> > PS: The xz compression for the debug set takes 36 minutes on my machine.
> > We shoudl do something about it. Matt to use -T for more parallelism?
>
> On older machines, xz's default settings are pretty much unusable,
> and USE_XZ_SETS=no (or USE_PIGZGZIP=yes) is almost a requirement.

Side note: interestingly this does not appear to be a limiting factor
on my older machines for x86 builds. The LLVM build/link time in the
tools part for gallium explodes the overal build time by several hours
and set compression is not as bad. Likely depends on available ram and
speed of disk vs. CPU speed.

Martin