Re: GSoC 2019

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:03:07AM +0530, Surya Shankar wrote:
> Hey NetBSD Team,
>                   I am a computer science engineering student. I am
> very much interested to contribute to the NetBSD foundation for google
> summer of code 19. I am passionate about cybersecurity and I play a
> lot of CTF's. I play for the teams OTA and scorpion and I mainly focus
> on the reversing and exploitation challenges in CTF events, during
> this period I have encountered several NetBSD related challenges and
> this has developed a liking in me towards this operating system since
> I am also interested in kernel programming I would like to work on the
> "DRM 32bit and Linux compat code" project for this year's summer of
> code.please tell me my next course of action.

Cool :-)

It would be good to do the following in some order:
- Get an IRC client and connect to freenode #netbsd-code
- Find out if you have a machine with hardware that is supported by
  NetBSD DRM2, like one of the following:
  - Any Intel graphics chip (probably up to Kaby Lake)
  - AMD/nVidia chips that are a few years old
  If you don't we can figure something out.
- If you do, the ideal setup is one machine with a comfortable setup,
  and a second machine for testing out changes on hardware.

  With cross-compilation the second machine can run non-NetBSD too if
  you prefer that.

- Even if you don't, it would be good to experiment with installing
  NetBSD until we figure something out.

- Experiment with installing NetBSD-current, snapshot are available on
  https://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/latest/

- Fetch the NetBSD source code and attempt to build a kernel and run it,
  The source code can be fetched through a bunch of mirrors too, I
  suspect you'll like the one on GitHub the most:
  https://github.com/netbsd/src

  Some build instructions are available here:
  https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-kernel.html#chap-kernel-build.sh

It's a lot of steps at once, let me know if you are having trouble with
any part.