Re: Adding a boot flag for No ASLR

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 06:11:49PM +0530, Siddharth Muralee wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have recently been working on adding a new boot flag for disabling
> ASLR during boot. I feel that this is useful since MKSANITZER userland
> (specifically Address Sanitizer, Thread Sanitizer, and Memory Sanitizer)
> requires ASLR to be disabled. Till now it was hardcoded in the kernel to be
> disabled and this looks neater.

I'm strongly against this.

(1) An implementation detail of userland shouldn't be leaked into the
kernel boot (!) process.
(2) There is no fundamental issue that makes the sanitizers incompatible
with ASLR. The only issue for asan and friends is the reservation of the
shadow buffer and that can and should be handled explicitly.

Joerg