RE: pulse-per-second API status

I wasn't commenting on advisability of putting it into NetBSD. Just
responding because I had, for a change, something relevant to contribute.
(I actually know, in this case, what I'm talking about!)

If the time info is presented into NTP using the same interface that network
packets use, then jitter will be pretty well damped (and will be less, in
any case, than typical network packet transport jitter). It is totally an
application question as to whether this is good enough. I was assuming that,
since the jitter on local interrupts is much less than on network packets,
that there might be a different PLL tracking the data, as there are lots of
tradeoffs here. But if it works well, by all means use it.

And I know Mouse is more careful than I tend to be about terminology and so
forth; he is, if I understand correctly, arguing that PPS directly connected
is a lot different than PPS over USB, and so should be called something
else. I don't have an opinion on that. I believe that for critical
applications you'll get much less jitter using PPS directly connected; but
I'd have to do experiments and my day job calls....

Best regards,
--Terry

USB