Re: CVS commit: src/tests/modules

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:12:34AM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> sysctl doesn't need to be static of course, you could do the kauth check
> and return a value based on whether you may load a module or not, I don't
> know if that will serve to disambiguate Xen?

No, this is not about XEN at all!
The tests do some modload and this can fail for various reasons. The most
popular ones are

 - kernel is !MODULAR (this is the case for all XEN kernels)
 - securelevel is >= 1

The whole issue is wether we call any of those a failure in the tests (which
clearly is wrong) or mark the tests as "skipped", with a proper message.

Since the tests already can easily test for securelevel, the only open
question is "is this kernel modular", which is why I proposed that very
simple solution to a simple question.

Now, if we want the sysctl to say "I can load modules" the water gets
muddy and we may have to ask more precise questions - however, since the
simple answer already is enough, IMHO we should stick to that.

I don't care for the names, but don't make it sound like it answers a more
complex question when it doesn't.

Martin