Re: CVS commit: src/lib/libc/arch/alpha/gen

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 07:27:18AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > The commit message reference the wrong lint warning.
> >
> > /local/src/NetBSD/src/lib/libc/arch/alpha/gen/fpgetround.c(61): warning:
> > conversion from 'unsigned long' to 'enum <unnamed>' may lose accuracy [132]
> > /local/src/NetBSD/src/lib/libc/arch/alpha/gen/fpsetround.c(61): warning:
> > conversion from 'unsigned long' to 'enum <unnamed>' may lose accuracy [132]
>
> Which is bogus because of the '& 3' which brings the value inside valid
> range.
>
> The cast is really in the wrong place as well.
>
> I am 100% against adding casts of numeric values to appease a tool that
> isn't tracking the domains of the expressions.

So let's do this properly. Many of this changes are just bogus. I still
haven't seen a single case that wouldn't be handled by the compiler as
well. So I want to request:

(a) Disabling lint completely. It is noise, it creates a lot harder to
follow diagnostics than either gcc or clang, it adds no real value as
compiler.

(b) Revert all changes to appease lint that don't also trigger a warning
with at least -Wconversion -Wno-error=conversion or similar warning.

(c) Consider adding the above flags to the build by default.

(d) Check if the ABI compliance checker fills all the needs for ABI
consistency lint provided, few as they were.

(e) Add a GSoC project or funded project to implement equivalent
functionality either based on DWARF or libclang to the base system.

Joerg